Windows Defender is a free anti virus, malware, spyware software. Microsoft developed this tool for Windows OS. Furthermore it comes with every installation of Windows 10 for free. Microsoft’s Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8/8.1, 10 has the Windows Defender preinstalled.
In general, Windows Defender safeguard your computer against viruses, spyware, and other unwanted software. It protects your PC from malware in two ways. One, Windows Defender protects your PC in real-time. As well as it notifies you whenever any software attempts to change settings of your PC. Furthermore, it provides anytime scanning. It checks for viruses, malware and spyware on a regular basis. But you can start a scan anytime to keep your computer malware free. From Windows Vista and above version of Windows it installs by default. As well as it has no visibility in the remove programs. Moreover, from Windows 8.1 you can not permanently disable Windows Defender anymore.
Additionally, many people prefer using third-party security software. In that case, using Windows Defender will be wasting of time. Because there is no need to run many anti-malware software at the same time in a single PC. Moreover, running many anti-malware software may slow down your computer.
In order to disable Windows Defender permanently with the help of this tutorial.
Note: We don’t recommend leaving your computer without any anti-malware software.
How to check if Windows Defender is running
Before you are going to turn off Windows Defender make sure whether it is running in your system. In order to check that follow the steps bellow.
- Type Windows Defender Security Center in search box located in taskbar.
- Click on Windows Defender Security Center.
- Look at the shield icon. If a green tick is present there, it means Windows Defender is running on your computer. See the screenshot below.
How to Turn Off Windows Defender Permanently Using Local Group Policy
In order to use Local Group Policy you need to have Windows 10 Pro version (such as Windows 10 Enterprise, Windows 10 Education). To open Local Group Policy Editor follow steps below.
- Press Windows + R keyboard shortcut to open Run tool.
- Type gpedit.msc in the text field. Next, click on OK button to open Local Group Policy Editor.
- Go to the path: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender
- From the right pane, double-click Turn off Windows Defender.
- Select Enabled. It will disable Windows Defender. Go to step 7.
- To turn On select Not Configured or Disable. Go to step 7.
- Click Apply and then OK to save the settings.
Despite disabling Windows Defender you will notice the shield icon is showing in system tray. To make it disappear restart your computer. If you are turning on Windows Defender, then also restart the PC.
How to Turn Off Windows Defender Permanently Using Registry
To turn off Windows Defender using Registry, follow the steps below.
- Press keyboard shortcut Windows + R to open Run tool.
- Type regedit in the text field and press Enter.
- Click Yes on User Account Control prompt to continue.
- Go to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender
- If you see DisableAntiSpyware on right pane, double-click on it. Set the value data to 1 to turn off Windows Defender.
- If DisableAntiSpyware does not exist, right-click on any empty space on right pane. Click New > DWORD (32-bit) Value and name it DisableAntiSpyware. Now follow the previous step.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Real-Time Protection.
- As like step 6, right-click on empty space and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value. Name it DisableRealtimeMonitoring.
- Set the value to 1 to turn off Real Time Monitoring.
- Restart your computer.
To re-enable Windows Defender again, follow the same steps above. But in step 5, just set the value data to 0. To put it another way just delete the DisableAntiSpyware key. Then restart computer to revert the change.
How to Turn Off Windows Defender Permanently Using NoDefender
NoDefender is third-party tool for Windows 10 to disable Windows Defender permanently. Use this tool as last resort with caution. Because it is unknown what this software does in the background.
Many people complained that NoDefender can’t disable Windows Defender completely. In this case use Winaero Tweaker from same developer.
Turn Off Windows Defender Scanning Using Task Scheduler
In this way you can temporary disable Windows Defender Real-time protection.
- Press keyboard shortcut Windows + R.
- Type taskschd.msc in text field and press enter. It will open Windows Task Scheduler.
- UAC may prompt. Click Yes to proceed.
- Browse to Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Defender.
- Find “Windows Defender Scheduled Scan” task and double-click on it.
- Click on Conditions tab.
- Check “Start the task only if the computer is idle for” option. Then set a large idle time amount. Like this automatic scanning will not get a chance to run again.
How to Turn Off Windows Defender Temporarily using Settings app
This is another way to turn off Windows Defender for a limited of time. In this method we are going to use the option in Settings provided by Microsoft.
- Click on Start menu and click Settings (the gear icon).
- Go to Update & security.
- Now locate to left pane and click Windows Defender.
- Here you’ll find the toggle button to turn off Real-time protection. Click on that toggle button.
In this case, Windows Defender antivirus will re-initiate right after restarting your computer.