Microsoft’s Windows has a built-in Firewall from its XP version. Firewall is a tool with which we can protect ourselves from certain threats or malware. Since from the Firewall, it is possible to allow or block the traffic of certain applications that need an Internet connection. Therefore, I will show you below how to allow or block certain applications in the Windows 10 Firewall. In other words, how to create Firewall exception in Windows 10.
For this, it is not going to be necessary to have great knowledge on this matter, since the configuration of Windows 10 Firewall offers a fairly simple and intuitive interface.
Check out: 3 different Types of Firewall
Why to Create Firewall Exception
Windows Firewall is dedicated to the monitoring traffic of your computer. It has the ability to block any traffic if the tool thinks it is as untrusted. That’s why if it is not well configured, it may be causing problems or may even result in an application not functioning properly.
Configure Firewall is important especially for applications that need an Internet connection. Many applications, multi-player games often get blocked by the Firewall. That’s why sometimes users need to create a Firewall exception to let those application connect to the Internet.
A Firewall exception is a permission given to any program or user, to establish connections to the Internet, bypassing the security rules of the Firewall. All this is authorized by the system administrator.
Of course, the exceptions bring security risks to the computer. That’s why the administrator must be sure of the source of the user or of the application to which an exception is being given.
How to Manually add Firewall Exception in Windows 10
- Type control panel in search box in start menu.
- Click on control panel and open Control Panel.
- Click on System and Security.
- Next click on Windows Firewall / Windows Defender Firewall.
- Locate to the left pane and click on Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall.
- Click on Change Settings button which have administrative access.
- Now find the app you want to allow from the list.
- Click on the checkbox next to the app name. By default it will have the Public access. But if you want to make it Private, click on private checkbox located in the Private column in right side.
- Click ok to change the setting.
Note, if you can’t find your app on the list, click on Allow another app button. And then browse the app and click Add.
Advanced Firewall Exception
Advanced users can go a little bit further. You can open ports manually and establish individual connections. That will reduce the risks of external attacker who can violate the system and expose the security of our PC.
To make this type of configuration, follow the steps below.
- Navigate to Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click on Advanced Settings on the left pane.
- Locate at the left pane. You can create custom rules, both in “Inbound Rules” and in “Outbound Rules”.
- To create a new rule, select the desired app. Then click New Rule from the action tab in right side.
- A new window will open. From there you can modify firewall rules.
As this is not the tutorial for Advanced Settings of Firewall exception, so I stop here. But remember that these are advanced options. So if you are a novice user, it is better not to modify anything without knowing what are you doing.